Curse Voice

News and happenings in the alliance. Topics here will show on the front page.

Moderator: MCA Moderator

Forum rules
Only Raid / Alliance leaders may start new topics. Members may reply to any topic already started.
Caldar
Sheep DoTing Extraordinaire
Main: Caldar
Alt 1: Nothing
Alt 2: Failure

Fri, 29 Jul 2016 04:02 -0700

Can folks doing groups (MCA or otherwise) test out the functionality of the new Curse voice app to see how it works for everyone?

You can download it here: https://www.curse.com You can also use it as a standalone client or as a web-based application, and I believe it has a mobile option if you wanted to run it on your phone rather than your computer for some reason.

It has the advantage over our existing Mumble of being free. Additionally, with the Curse addon client and the voice client being combined in the future, it means that potentially a lot of people will already have it installed (including subs/pugs) which could be convenient.

If it seems to work well for everyone and doesn't have any real problems or serious functionality limitations, we might swap the MCA servers over to there. However, we don't want to make this switch without MCA people using and testing it first and seeing if it will work.

If you encounter any problems or frustrations, please post them in this thread so we can consider it when making the decision for the Mumble server renewal in November.

Darsithis
Actually uses the Forums
Main: Darsithis

Tue, 02 Aug 2016 02:02 -0700

I'm testing it out now, but if we go with it I might uninstall Vent and Mumble...I've got way too many apps like this right now.

Darsithis
Actually uses the Forums

Tue, 02 Aug 2016 02:03 -0700

Okay, it's already way ahead of Mumble. Mumble won't let me use my bluetooth headset AND my speakers at the same time. I can let the speakers take the raid and use the bluetooth for the microphone. I like it :)

Tziva
Requires a pet hippo
Main: Tziva

Tue, 23 Aug 2016 10:46 -0700

I set up an MCA server on Curse for people to try out in other games or while leveling or whatever:

https://curse.com/servers/Xz98Hs

The default lobby is just text based, similar to our in-game channel, except with the advantage of being available cross-server and cross game ;)

Please make sure once you join that you set your nickname (click your name on the member's list > "set your nickname") so we know who you are.
Image Image

Darsithis
Actually uses the Forums

Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:29 -0700

Just my impressions:

Pros:
- It's connected to my gaming profiles all over and my friends, allowing for even better communication
- It lets me set default speakers/mics. Despite Mumble supposedly allowing Bluetooth I was never able to get it to recognize my headset
- The voices that I could hear were clear and I didn't notice any sense of disturbance or robot voice

Cons:
- Somewhat clunky to use because it has so much in place.
- Seems like the default sound level is super low for some people, making it impossible to hear them yet others are extra loud. We'll want to, if we move to it, make sure everyone is aware of their levels and set them appropriately

Tziva
Requires a pet hippo
Main: Tziva

Wed, 31 Aug 2016 09:00 -0700

Darsithis wrote: - Seems like the default sound level is super low for some people, making it impossible to hear them yet others are extra loud. We'll want to, if we move to it, make sure everyone is aware of their levels and set them appropriately
That is unlikely to be a problem on your end or the client, that is probably that some people have their mic gettings set weird.

That happens on Mumble too. See also: Faragorn. (sorry Faragorn but you eighty times louder than everyone else I've ever heard on Mumble)

Not counter arguing but people who have their mic settings not in a good spot is a problem everywhere.
Image Image

Zsarilya
Actually uses the Forums
Main: [armory]Zsarilya[/armory]
Alt 1: Elistrya
Alt 2: Ilyeina

Fri, 09 Sep 2016 08:21 -0700

I'm liking Curse Voice so far, but I did have to turn my mic related settings all the way up to be audible.

• Information